Boys Volleyball Starts 2023 Season

Aliso Niguel’s Boys Volleyball team started off league last week after completing a challenging preseason against some of the best teams in Orange County.

Last year the Wolverines had an overall record of 19-11. They went 5-4 in league, securing them 3rd place. The Wolverines had lost once to Tesoro and Trabuco Hills High School and lost twice against the South Coast League Champions San Clemente High School. 

The team then qualified for CIF Southern Section Division III, where they ended up losing to Upland High School. 

The team is coached by Miguel Monterola, a local club coach who is one of the co-founders at Orange Coast Volleyball Club or OCVC. He started coaching the team back in 2018, and has had lots of experience through the different levels of volleyball coaching at the collegiate and international level as a volunteer coach for the USA women’s national team.  

The year the Wolverines had a difficult start to the season with losing five straight matches in a row and going 12-1 in sets. The 2023 season had gotten off to a rocky start. 

Since then, the team has gone on to win two games against Dana Hills as well as Santa Margarita Catholic High School. In both games Aliso went 3-0 in sets. 

The Wolverines are for sure not lacking talent. Their roster consists of multiple collegiate bound players. Including Ty Carson (12) who is committed to play at Cal State Long Beach, one of the top 5 teams in men’s division 1 volleyball. 

As league play begins there are high hopes for the team’s potential. Cage Gonzalez (11), the team’s starting libero, hopes that the team goes on to compete in league. 

“We definitely had a rough start to the season but that has really only motivated us to get better. Hopefully when we reach the league we will execute at a high level and have some success.” 

League has not started out as the team would have hoped, losing 1-3 against Trabuco Hills High School. With their first home game the team had better success. The Wolverines pulled off a win against Tesoro High School. 

Their next match against Trabuco Hills will be in a couple of weeks, which hopeful be enough time for the team to prepare for the rematch.