Softball Season

Aliso Niguel’s softball team has been working hard this spring season. They practice five times a week with games mostly on the weekends.

During practices, the team practices situational defense to make sure their relays and communication are worked on. They also practice live game scenarios. 

“Hitting long ball and executing the short bunting game is critical to our success!” expressed Chloe Lesko (11), captain of the softball team. 

Taylor Nelson (10) stated, “Focusing on the key details and getting back to the basics is strengthening us as a group, and we’re overall starting to trust each other more too.” 

On March 5, the team won their first tournament of the season, against Trabuco Hills High School with a score of 4-1. 

Chloe Lesko hoped for this win to be the “rolling stone” of the season. 

This follows their wins against Laguna Hills High School on March 1 (13-0); El Dorado High School on March 2 (10-4); and San Clemente High School on March 4 (5-1). Unfortunately, the team lost against JSerra High School with a score of 6-0. 

“Definitely have our eyes on a ring this season and hope to have our full normal first season back from COVID to be the best!” expressed Lesko. 

The loss at the JSerra game did not stop the team. Aliso Niguel won against Yorba Linda High School on March 10, with a score of 17-11. On March 12, the team won against Santa Margarita High School in a tournament game with a score of 6-1. On the same day, they won their tournament game against Tesoro with a score of 7-1. 

They are currently 10-7 on wins to losses. 

The team is set to play against Rosary Academy and El Segundo High School on March 19. Following those two games, the team will go against Centennial High School on March 22, and a home game against Woodbridge High School on March 24. 

Taylor Nelson (10) expressed how the softball team has become a place of comfort and how she loves being part of the team. 

“All of our coaches are super dedicated to the benefit of all of us being out here, and I’m really grateful that I get to play for them. I wouldn’t choose any other sport at ANHS to get to be a part of, because softball here really is a place for me to get better, and someplace I genuinely enjoy being.”