Colleges Visit ANHS

As Aliso Niguel seniors get farther into the first semester of the 2022-2023 school year, many have begun to seriously consider if and what colleges they will be applying to. Aliso Niguel High School, to aid students in the process, offers college rep visits. 

The college rep visits give the students the opportunity to learn about different colleges and will help them decide if they will attend a four-year. The reps talk about the programs and degrees offered at their college, since almost all colleges have differing lists of programs. They also inform students on financial aid and scholarship options. It is a way for students to learn about colleges without having to spend the time and money to go visit them. 

Some of the college rep visits come from as far as University of Hawaii and University of Rochester in Rhode Island, and as close as Soka University in Aliso Viejo. This gives students the chance to see what part of the country and climate might appeal to them most. 

Also, a mix of private and public colleges come to visit. Popular private universities such as University of Southern California, Baylor University, and Boston University come to give students the idea of what a private university would be like. Very big, public universities such as University of Alabama and University of Arizona also visit to give students the idea if they would enjoy large, big sports team schools. Seniors then can have a better understanding of what they are looking for most in a university.

The meetings take place in the College and Career Center Room (501). They are during lunch, starting at 12:00 p.m. Most of the visits are in person, but a few are virtual.

Ava Wise (12) went to the Grand Canyon University visit since she was interested in the school. She explains, “At the college meeting for Grand Canyon University it was really helpful because I got to hear a graduate’s experience at the school. I’m really happy they have this outlet for students so we can be better prepared for the future.”

Haley Schmul (12) also went to the GCU visit, and had a slightly different experience. She explains that “The Grand Canyon University college visit was very informative. The meeting helped me decide where I want to apply since I got to see what GCU has to offer and I can compare it to other colleges. The most important thing I got out of the meeting was that GCU does not have out-of-state tuition.”

Overall, the college visits allow students to get to know more about distinct colleges, while staying near home. The Grand Canyon University college visit was very informative. The meeting helped me decide where I want to apply since I got to see what GCU has to offer and I can compare it to other colleges. The most important thing I got out of the meeting was that GCU doesn’t have out of state tuition.”

As students come farther along in their application processes, many seek to learn about different colleges and atmospheres. The college rep visits is an optional outlet for them if they are seeking help.