Repeat Mask Offenders

This school year is unprecedented for many reasons, one reason being students can barely see each other’s faces. According to the News subheading of the website for the Capistrano Unified School District, “All Orange County schools must follow the California Department of Public Health regulations requiring universal masking indoors for students and staff in TK-12 schools to begin the 2021-2022 school year and until guidance is subsequently revised.” 

This means that starting from the beginning of this school year students need to wear masks when entering school buildings or while learning in a classroom setting where other students or staff are present. If students are unable to meet mask wearing requirements there are consequences. . 

The consequences of not following the guidelines for the school include a progressive discipline policy. According to Mr. Baker, an assistant principal on campus, the first time a student refuses to wear a mask, they will meet with the student as a warning followed by a call home. The second time a student refuses to wear a mask, they will receive an after school detention and if it continues to be too much of an issue students can be put into an online program. He made sure to mention that the school doesn’t want students to be put into an online program, as he believes students learn better in the classroom. 

Despite whether or not people agree with the current guidelines, the school does still require its students and staff to participate in wearing masks. Additionally masks can be found in most classrooms for students who forget to bring one before the bell rings or lose them during any of their passing periods. The availability of masks ensures that students who simply forgot are not penalized like students who simply refuse to adhere to the new rule. 

As stated on the website for the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, “Due to the circulating and highly contagious Delta variant, CDC recommends universal indoor masking by all students (age 2 and older), staff, teachers, and visitors to K-12 schools, regardless of vaccination status.”

Following many recommendations like the ones made by the California Department of Public Health, and further supported by the CDC, all personnel are supposed to wear masks or other forms of face coverings indoors. Although the progressive discipline policy may startle and confuse many students on campus, our school is requiring one every time we enter a classroom.