Christmas Lights Brighten Quarantine

Image provided by Google.

Madison Ross, Staff Writer

To preserve the Christmas cheer this year, students and their families can look at numerous Christmas light displays in Orange County. Quarantine may put most holiday traditions on pause, but admiring lights from outside or the seat of a car remains a safe way to celebrate.

The most popular Orange County light display is in Dana Point Harbor. The Holiday Harbor Lights event opens on Nov. 11 and remains open until the end of the season. The free event is located at 24700 Dana Point Harbor Dr. 

Illuminated whale figures and Christmas trees light up the area with a view right by the ocean. The “MERRY KISS ME” sign is a trademark of the season for most residents, especially teenagers. A twinkling candy cane lane adorned with dangling snowflake lights are another fan-favorite of the attraction.

The strip includes Coffee Importers and other restaurants where watchers can grab a bite to eat or a hot drink. 

Piper Glidden (12) is a hostess at Harpoon Henry’s located in the harbor. She explains, “The lights always make everything so festive and happy. It’s nice seeing everyone walking around in the holiday spirit.”

Unfortunately, the annual Dana Point and Newport Beach boat parades will be cancelled this year due to COVID-19. Event planners grew wary of the crowds the boat displays draw, thus deciding to postpone the event until next season.

Neighborhoods in Nellie Gail and Ladera Ranch host some of the best home light shows of the season. Since houses in these neighborhoods tend to be larger, their light displays do not disappoint. 

Maya Rosales (12) says, “There’s a house in Nellie Gail who did the most. There were a ton of lights and they’d sync it to music, along with a sign where you could text a number to display a message on the sign.”

No matter what street drivers may stumble down, it will always be a show around the merry season. More and more residents are stringing lights across their homes in an attempt to brighten this unusual Christmas.