Hobbies Born from Boredom

Fellow Wolverines at the beach.

Madison Ross, Staff Writer

Students have discovered new ways to kill time at home while COVID-19 rages in the outside world. The virus has rendered most social activities impossible, so students have gotten creative with their forms of entertainment.

An abundance of free time allows students to dedicate themselves to new skills. Taking advantage of the West Coast charm, surfing has become a popular pastime. 

“I’ve always wanted to learn how to surf, but I never knew where to start,” says Maggie Curran (12).

She began learning in April when she borrowed her friend’s board to try out, and she’s been hooked ever since. 

“It is an amazing feeling hearing some people cheer you on while on a wave, and everyone is so nice in the water,” Curran continues.

With new skills being so immersive, they serve as a great escape from the world around us.

Some have found a new passion in the arts as well. Embroidery has quickly risen in popularity as it is an easy stress reliever. It’s also a fun way to customize clothes and other belongings. Even offbeat mediums, such as needle felting and crocheting, have come into the limelight. 

Quarantine has also given students the time to rediscover old hobbies. Madilynn Jacobson (12), for example, has delved into the world of video editing. 

“I edited in small bursts before quarantine, but now I edit full YouTube videos!” Jacobson explains.

Each video takes approximately six hours to complete, and these long endeavors have helped her improve.

Being indoors has caused video games to skyrocket in popularity. On March 20, “Animal Crossing: New Horizons” was released on the Nintendo Switch. Players can interact with virtual animal villagers while creating the island of their dreams. Online multiplayer is also supported, so players can visit their friends from home. “Among Us” is another multiplayer game that connects friends, or rather tears them apart. In this sleuthing game, crewmates attempt to figure out the imposter, or killer, among them by discussing their suspicions.

Ashleigh Fernandez (12) says “It’s a fun strategy game that really makes you use your brain.”    

Thanks to the stay at home orders, newbies to pro-gamers have found a niche in the virtual world.

A large majority of students have spent their time watching TikTok clips or Netflix shows. Eva Jabbari (11) has found interest in numerous T.V. shows throughout the six months indoors, especially enjoying “Criminal Minds.”

“Once quarantine started, I gave it a chance and I fell in love!” says Jabbari when asked about the show.

A few other honorable mentions of hers include “Skins,” “Euphoria,” and “Avatar: The Last Airbender.”

Despite the quarantine restrictions, students have still found ways to appease their boredom and connect with friends.