Boys Swim in Season

The boys swim team started this season out strong. To help get their body and minds into the meet mentality, Aliso held the Black and Teal Intrasquad on Feb. 22. At the Black and Teal Intrasquad, swimmers on all teams at Aliso compete to get the experience and flow of meets before their first one.

“I am feeling pretty confident about this season,” stated senior Paxton Smith (12).

On March 1, the boys swim team traveled to Capo Valley High School’s pool to compete in their first meet. The Capo Relay Prelims took place there. Almost every relay that competed at the prelims made it to the finals. 

At this meet, the top finishes for Aliso were both the Varsity 200 Free and Fly teams. Both teams placed second, guaranteeing them to compete the following day. 

At the Capo Relay finals, Aliso was able to take fourth place overall, with first place in both the Varsity 200 freestyle and the Varsity 300 fly events. 

The second meet took place at Aliso’s infamous pool deck. The boys went against their hometown rival Dana Hills High School and took home the win. 

The boys went against Capo Valley High School on March 13. Having swam at the Capo Valley Pool already this season, the boys competed and won once again. 

Starting into the league, Aliso begins with a winning streak and plans on continuing to do so. 

“We train for our meets by practicing hard and perfecting our races.”  

With the hunger for winning and the right mentality, Aliso aims to bring home the win continuously. 

Captains of the 2023 boys swim team are Aaron Graff (12), Xander Zappas (12), and Paxton Smith (12). All three boys have committed to continue swimming in college. 

Coach Jon Puffer has been coaching boys varsity swim and boys varsity water polo at Aliso for many years now. He is excited about this year’s swim season and for the boys to compete at their best.  

Coming up for the boys swim team, the next meets are against San Juan Hills High School and Tesoro High School.