Vaccine Mandates in Schools

During the pandemic, the mandatory vaccination topic has become truly relevant. I believe that students should have all the necessary vaccines in order to attend school, including the COVID-19 vaccine. 

In the past, students have had to have specific vaccines in order to attend school. For example, the Tdap Booster vaccine is mandatory for students from grades six to twelve. The Tdap vaccine helps prevent tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (whooping cough). All of these illnesses are dangerous for children, which is why rules have been placed in regards to the vaccine.

COVID-19 is also an illness that can be dangerous for children. The majority of children that have needed to be hospitalized because of COVID-19 are unvaccinated, according to the CDC.

If children are vaccinated, they are less likely to spread the virus to people such as teachers, become hospitalized, or even pass away. 

If the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approves the COVID-19 vaccine for a specific age group, such as ages 12 to 17, it should be mandatory for students to have it in order to attend school. Schools have done it in the past. This specific vaccine should not be treated differently than others. 

In addition to making past vaccines mandatory, schools have made the usage of masks or a face cover mandatory. Therefore schools have recognized that protection against COVID-19 is necessary. So why not take the extra precautions that are available to students? It does not make sense to require one thing, but not the rest. 

Additionally, teachers and all school administration should also be required to get the vaccine. Not only does it protect them, but it also protects their students. 

The COVID-19 vaccine has been approved for children from ages 5 and up, and adults. Children can get the Pfizer-BioNTech, and adults can get Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen. Since they can access the vaccine, children should be required to be vaccinated in order to protect themselves and their peers.