Model UN Spotlight

Model United Nations (MUN) is a club meant to “give students an opportunity to express their interest in current events/global politics in an academic setting,” according to Aliso Niguel’s Club Information page. MUN is a simulated version of the United Nations, who describe themselves as “One place where the world’s nations can gather together, discuss common problems, and find shared solutions” (United Nations). 

According to Maya Priestley (12), the Club President, at MUN students debate global issues and write resolutions to solve those issues. They hold club meetings in which they discuss important information and key points, prepare for debate, and sign up for upcoming conferences. After being signed up for a conference, students are assigned a country and topics to debate. During conferences, the MUN debates take place in which students represent their countries and discuss current or historical global issues. 

MUN meetings are held on a monthly basis, and conferences are held on Saturdays by local high schools and colleges. Leading up to a conference, there are extra meetings in order for students to prepare with others and research. Conferences are about 5 hours long, and extra research is expected outside of meetings. While the time commitment is not massive, in order to be successful in MUN, students need to put in some extra time. 

Ms. Reilly is the faculty advisor for Model United Nations. However, as she is unavailable due to her leave, the other faculty advisor Ms. Terhardt helps to run the meetings. Most of the club is student run, with the advisors mostly helping with conference fees and scheduling. According to Ms. Reilly, while it is only a club this year, they hope for it to be offered as an elective class next year. 

Club President Maya Priestley described MUN as a place for members to, “practice public speaking, debate, and solve issues peacefully.” She believes that a major benefit to joining the club is being “exposed to researching and learning about global issues” and gaining “experience in public speaking and debate.”

During the last conference at Capo Valley High School, two Aliso Niguel MUN members received commendation for their work. Natalie Mitchell and Maya Priestly were acknowledged with the award for their “great work and skill in debate.” The awards are typically given to, “the top ten delegates in a given committee,” according to Mira Costa High School’s MUN Conference Awards page of their website. 

The Model United Nations Overview describes MUN students as, “uniquely prepared for advanced college level work and research and excel in AP and IB programs as well as interdisciplinary subject areas.” 

If students would like to sign up for Model United Nations, they can go to Ms. Reilly’s room (409) or email faculty advisor Ms. Terhardt at [email protected].