Teachers’ Opinions on Hybrid

Kiara Azuma, Staff Writer

With the end of the 2020-2021 school year approaching, teachers shared their experiences with hybrid classes. 

Many teachers expressed the main difficulty of hybrid learning was giving their full attention to students who were hybrid and who were online during lessons. 

Ms. Stillings, a math teacher, stated it was “difficult teaching 20 kids online and like ten in person. It’s not the best solution, but it’s all we have right now.” 

Mrs. Holloway, an English teacher, explained trying to stay connected with the students was hard with hybrid learning. 

“Being connected to my students is really important to me. If we’re connected, I’m learning from you and you’re learning from me. We need to establish that relationship” (Mrs. Holloway). 

According to Mrs. Holloway, balancing the hybrid and online students with technical difficulties that are happening at the same time, makes it hard for her to connect with her students. 

“You’re torn in so many directions that you can’t be the teacher you want to be. You can’t teach the way you want to teach,” she adds. 

Dr. de Diego (AP European History and Economics) explained her personal difficulties with hybrid learning. 

“I don’t get to see [the students] enough and I miss seeing my students,” she said. 

Dr. de Diego stated she missed greeting all her students and seeing her students’ smiles in person. 

With Zoom, she feels as though talking to students one-on-one felt like she was spotlighting the students and the environment being awkward.   

“I don’t want to make my students feel uncomfortable,” she said. “My favorite part about teaching are my students. I love the content, of course, I’m very passionate about it, but I’m more passionate about my relationships with my students.” 

Although the teachers faced difficulties, they found positive aspects of hybrid. 

“I’m glad that students who want to come to school can come,” Ms. Stillings said. 

“It was nice to be together with some of the people, and so even though it was difficult, I was like ‘I have kids in front of me.’ It was nice to start to feel a sense of class community,” Mrs. Holloway stated. 

Dr. D explained a positive aspect she found was it forced her to become better at using technology. 

“Anytime you can expand your skill set, that’s a good thing. [Hybrid] has also taught me to be more creative, and adapt things that I used to do to convert them into online and hybrid learning.” 

Teachers are now preparing for the switch to a four-day hybrid schedule, beginning April 26.