Theme Parks Reopening

Kiara Azuma, Staff Writer

After over a year of theme parks being closed due to COVID-19, reopening plans have begun. 

Some parks, such as Six Flags Magic Mountain and Six Flags Discovery reopened on April 1st and 2nd to the pass holders, and April 3rd for the general public. Six Flags set up social distancing protocols throughout their park, including waiting in lines and even on rides. The park requires masks to be worn at all times, and has designated “Mask Break Zones.” 

The San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are also open, requiring ticket reservations and following COVID-19 safety guidelines. Similarly, SeaWorld is open for exhibits and is scheduled to reopen its attractions on April 12. 

Tickets are also now available for Universal Studios, as well as Legoland. Universal Studios is expected to open on April 16. Legoland is expected to open on April 15. 

There is no certain date, but Knott’s Berry Farm is reopening in May. But, they are hosting Tasting events in the park. 

“Currently, our Taste of Boysenberry Festival is underway and will continue to receive guests as planned until May 2,” states Jon Storbeck (Vice President and General Manager). 

Long-awaited by many California residents, Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure released their plans of reopening on April 30. Ticket reservations are required to limit capacity. Current ticket holders or pass holders are able to reserve their tickets on April 9. The general public reservations open on April 12. 

The reopening of Disney California Adventure includes the grand opening of Avengers Campus on June 4. “Web-Slingers: A Spiderman Adventure” is an added attraction to the park, as well as “heroic encounters” in “Sanctum” and “Avengers Headquarters.” 

Disneyland adds on their website: “Upon reopening, certain parks, hotels, restaurants, attractions, experiences, and other offerings will be modified or unavailable, will have limited capacity and will be subject to limited availability or even closure, and park admission and offerings are not guaranteed.” 

Following California guidelines, all theme parks have limited capacity, and only residents of California may reserve tickets. All visitors and employees are required to wear face coverings and be screened for temperatures. There will be modifications for reduced contact in purchasing or experiences within the park. 

Before the official reopenings of attractions in theme parks, Knott’s Berry Farm,  SeaWorld (as mentioned), and Disneyland opened alternatives for guests to enjoy their park. 

Knott’s Berry Farm is hosting its Tasting events. Disneyland has opened Downtown Disney for guests on July 9. They also hosted “A Touch of Disney” where guests could enjoy food and drinks within Disney California Adventure Park from March 18 to April 19. 

For more information, visit the official website of the individual theme parks.